Thursday, February 09, 2006

An Introduction



Madison May Draper appears, in many ways, to be a very normal eight year old girl.

She is in the third grade where she is a great student.

She loves American Girl Dolls, scrapbooking and DANCE class!!

Madi, however, is quite different than most other eight year old girls.

She has had 22 major surgeries due to severe congenital scoliosis.

(visit www.iscoliosis.com) for further medical information.

Madi is part of the Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh Titanium Rib Project under the direction of Dr. V. Deeney. Pittsburgh may be home of the SuperBowl Champs, but it isn't home to Madi...she travels about eight hours for each appointment and/or surgery. (for more information about the Titanium Rib, visit www.veptr.com).

As Madi's Mom, I feel blessed in many ways. Strange ways, perhaps, to Moms of "ordinary children" (although, I think, perhaps, I have yet to meet an "ordinary" child)!

Madi is a bundle of energy... a non-stop fighter and top notch sales gal on all accounts (from candy bars for dance company fees to girl scout cookies). She is comfortable with people of all ages and a fierce friend. She remembers everything and everyone and finds a smile inside her that shines on the outside no matter what she is feeling.

Madi wasn't supposed to run or skip or dance. She wasn't supposed to walk. She wasn't supposed to live very long.

She is full of life.

She is my life.

1 Comments:

At 4:55 PM, Blogger vicki Lewis said...

Rhonda...my heart goes out to you & your dad for all that you are doing for a sweet daughter/granddaughter, the love of your lives. I know your mom would be right in the middle of it all! She is, in her own way, now. You are blessed! Please let me know if there is anything, in any way, I can do for you.Our youngest son recently moved down here w/ his family, and I have the pleasure of our granddaughter's 2-yr old love....they are so special, no matter how old, and I would do anything for her, and her 2 cousins!
On another note, nic to get an update on you I enjoy retirement from the dance ratrace!!!!!!! If you ever travel to Raleigh/Durham....call or e-mail me would love to touch base. Keep in touch!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home